Co-founded in YouTube: an interview with Bengu Atamer & Paola Marinone
Paola Marinone - Co-founder & CEO
Bengu Atamer - Co-founder & Director
Co-founded in YouTube an interview with co-founders Bengu Atamer & Paola Marinone
Miron BykovLondon - 26/08/2019
Today we spoke to Bengu Atamer (Co-founder & Director) and Paola Marinone (Founder & CEO) from BuzzMyVideos.
BuzzMyVideos, founded by Paola, provides a new generation of talented video makers with the support to grow audiences and monetise video content via a multi-platform network and partnership programme.
1) Tell me about the day the idea was born. Paola: It was a gradual build rather than a sudden snap. Having worked at YouTube, it was fascinating to witness the disruption of a whole industry through online video. The whole idea of BuzzMyVideos grew over time and organically. I then took a sabbatical of one year, came back and started.
2) What was the biggest turning point in the life of BuzzMyVideos? The biggest one has occurred a couple of years ago, we were growing massively on our business activity of the creator’s network, soon we started working on our own technology with massive content owner, broadcasters and publishers as there was a demand from the market. It was an eye-opening moment as it allowed us to leverage our technology to a completely new market.
Another turning point was when we acquired MakeTag in Sardinia, the base of our technology team, this helped us establish a solid team with many talents and bring out the full power of our technology.
3) Three top tips for aspiring entrepreneurs: Bengu: a) It’s a long journey – it won’t happen over night b) Challenge isn’t the only thing that brings struggle, opportunities do too c) Pick the correct people
Paola: a) Love what you are doing – your company is going to become everything! b) It’s not about being a Unicorn – don’t get hooked into raising more than needed
4) What gets you out of bed every morning? Bengu: Responsibility. I am responsible for something bigger than myself, that is the team, the company and the clients. These people are what keep me going.
Paola: Bengu’s call! Or Whatsapp message. To be honest I am awake for quite a lot of the night because of my 7-month-old child. When feeding the baby, I have a lot of free time so those are the moments I get new ideas or check my emails.
5) What did you want to be when you were little? Bengu: I wanted to be a performance artist like a dancer at a younger age, and then a politician later on in primary school as a kid.
6) Favourite Disney character: Bengu: Definitely Cinderella
Paola: No idea – sorry!
7) What is BuzzMyVideos planning for the world next? We are going to take over the whole online video activity, delivering to all platforms, which is a huge opportunity for both publishers and brands.